With the anticipated launch of Google ‘s Caffeine in the New Year and the focus on real time and personalised search, 2010 is promising to be a nail biting time for webmasters. Here are a few tips to maintain your rankings in 2010:
1) Website load time. In 2010 website load time will be a critical factor in determining which sites rank at the top of Google’s search results. Ensure your site loads quickly and that it does not have any broken links. Use tools such as this and check against the top sites ranking for your keyword. Ensure that your site’s loadtime is better than theirs.
2) Brand visibility. 2010 will also take into account your brand’s visibility on the net. Make sure you optimise your social media assets such as your Twitter profile, your Facbook page , Flickr , LinkedIn and YouTube.
3) Real Time search. Google and Bing recently paid 15 and 10 million dollars to index Twitter. This was done primarily due to the fact that real time search will be an important factor in 2010. Ensure that you produce enough content that can keep your social profiles active.
4) Universal Search. Universal results or bleneded results will become even more prominent in 2010. We’ve already started seeing the effect of Universal results in 2009 but 2010 promises to be the year when these results will become more of the norm. Ensure you invest in multimedia content such as images, videos and news.
5) Personalised Search. Google recently announced that it has switched it’s default search results to “personalised”. With this being the case, ensure that your site is optimised to rank for the various keywords in your consumers buying cycle. Also ensure that your site is user friendly in order to decrease bounce rates. Google will be keeping an eye on bounce/click through rates in 2010.
In addition to the above, make sure that you follow all the basic SEO best practice techniques as recommended by the main search engines.